MINIMALISM; A TOOL FOR SIMPLICITY.
The minimalism movement has really caught on in the past few years or so. Popularized by the minimalist duo consisting of Joshua Fields Millburn & Ryan Nicodemus Joshua Fields through their website, books, podcast, and Netflix films. Another notable figure in the minimalism and light living world is a Japanese consultant Marie Kondo also known as Konmari.
Why minimalism. In a world filled with maximizing everything from our potential, income and everything in between minimalism hushes the noise and allows you to live a meaningful life surrounded with people,things and experiences that actually bring you joy.
Simple beginner level ways incorporate minimalism in your life.
- List the reasons why you want to live a simpler life. Some people get the urge to simplify after and not limited to suffering from anxiety episodes, realizing they have a cluttered space or even after undergoing a major life altering decision.
- Toss the duplicate items. This doesn’t mean you toss out things that actually serve a purpose but for context no one really needs a dozen pieces of Tupperware.
- Declutter everything. For this I recommend trying the Marie kondo method and literally examine every piece of item you own and ruthlessly ask yourself whether that item sparks joy,if not consider donating or selling or simply putting out with the trash if it cannot be salvaged.
- Conscious fashion. First find your authentic style and only invest in that style with a capsule wardrobe. Consider second hand clothes as well. The fashion industry contributes 85% to the dumps annually, by practicing consciousness you will inadvertently be saving the environment too.
- Organize your life. Financial wise consider budgeting and for your time use a planner or a time management tool.
- Perform an electronic purge. Go through your devices and delete any data that has no purpose. Could be subscriptions, emails, messages and even unused apps.
- Cut back time on socials. This plays into the fact that we are constantly bombarded by images, information and stimulus,by reducing time spent on social media you reduce the information you consume allowing you to be less mentally stressed.